Sunday 3 February 2019

Module 3; the beginning..

Over the Christmas break I have had opportunity to reflect on my inquiry topic and what I hope to gain from it. I will continue my reflections here for those that are interested!..

As a professional ballet dancer who when in between performing contracts works at local dance and performing arts schools as a teacher, I decided that the hole in my knowledge lies within teaching methodology. I trained at vocational schools where my education was based solely on furthering myself in a career as a performer. I have never had formal training as a teacher (although I can claim that my technical knowledge of dance is vast but not complete). I would like to learn more about teaching and learning theories that lead to bringing the best out of students. Therefore my inquiry question is "How could different teaching methods/theories affect ballet pedagogy and will they positively optimise young dancer's abilities?"

As a student I was often taught under a strict authoritarian method, where I was just expected to listen and apply corrections, never being encouraged to question or reflect on how I personally could better myself. I was dependent on the teacher to tell me what to do and how to do it. Reflecting on this in module 1 I realised that this could have affected me personally long term as I entered my career. Starting out in the industry I was scared to speak up, scared to put myself out there, lacking in confidence in my own abilities and unknowing in how to continue to better myself without a teachers presence. I wander if this is down to the way I was taught and how classes were conducted at school?

It was this reflection that led me to consider different learning theories.

Since turning in my inquiry proposal plan, new challenges have developed in my professional practice. I have taken on some new classes at new schools which to say the least haven't been the easiest to adapt to. I have been very conscious to try to not involve too much authoritarian method in my teaching practice however these more challenging classes have led me to some interesting questions; is authoritarian teaching what parents of non-vocational students expect from ballet classes? After all, ballet training doesn't just teach technique, it is also an education in manners and respect. Is this important to the training and could it take away from the education if I were to use a different methodology? And should I be more specific in this inquiry as to researching the teaching methods in vocational or non-vocational training? Should the methods used be different depending on what kind of school you attend? And out of all of this - how do I focus my search in order to find the best benefits to my practice?

I will keep you updated as my reflections and findings unfold throughout this inquiry. But please in the meantime, comment below if you have any thoughts or opinions (or questions) for me to consider. It would be of great help and hugely appreciated! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the story you are going to tell?

Today, Tuesday 2nd April, we had a Module 3 skype session where we discussed the stories of our inquiries. Essentially, the entire process f...