Sunday 10 February 2019

What do you look for in a teacher?

During my research this week I came across an article by Kolb and Kalogeropoulou called In Defence of Ballet: Women, Agency and the Philosophy of Pleasure (2012). This article explores the positives of authoritarian teaching methods and why women (in particular) continue to want to join ballet classes and seek out the pleasure from within the art form and it's tough training.

Reading this article allowed me to start to reflect on what I look for in a teacher. Why do I enjoy ballet class? What do I expect from my teachers? I noted down a list of reflections in my journal;
  • Gives corrections in a positive and critical manner
  • Radiates an energy and brings the studio atmosphere to life
  • Is mindfully 100% present in the studio
  • Always searching for a resolution to a problem, does not settle or accept that something 'isn't possible' for someone
  • Individual focus...to everyone! Does not prioritise some students over others
  • Honesty (carefully worded and considerate of a students feelings)
  • Always searching for the positive as well as the yet to be established improvements
  • Installs confidence in others
  • Motivates students to keep pushing (physically and mentally)
  • Is an inspiration to students
  • Educates in discipline, self-motivation and positive mindset
Following this (though not particularly wanting to look on the negative side) I thought it important to note down what I definitely do not look for in a teacher. This reflection was not as joyful as the first, but I think it is important for me to have these realisations so that I can consciously decide to not do any of the following when I am teaching; 
  • Shows a lack in energy and interest in the class
  • Delivers corrections with the basis of negativity
  • Removes confidence from students (for example, by telling them that they can not achieve something)
  • Prioritises certain students, leaving others feeling rejected and not worthy of attention
  • Gives up on motivating students to achieve a correction before the student has had time to process said correction
  • Values respect over the well being of students
  • Cares more for personal achievements than watching students celebrate personal achievements
  • Attacking nature whilst correcting - works by scaring the student by negatively enforcing corrections
  • Harshly strict and speaks without first considering the potential consequences (specifically mental) effects that could be imposed on a student.
If anyone has any additional points to either list or disagrees with any of my opinions of what I look for in a teacher, please comment below so that we can discuss! 

Reference:
- Kolb, A. and Kalogeropoulou, S. (2012). In Defence of Ballet: Women, Agency and the Philosophy of Pleasure. Dance Research, [online] 30(2), pp.107-125. Available at: https://www-euppublishing-com.ezproxy.mdx.ac.uk/doi/full/10.3366/drs.2012.0042 [Accessed 5 Feb. 2019]. 

Image result for ballet teaching confidence meme

2 comments:

  1. This has been an interesting post to read. I would definitely place myself as a teacher in the top category. I have worked with many students over the years and always worked with them ensuring each student was treated as special. This is wholly down to the fact that my dance teacher featured in section B and as I wasn't one of the 'good' ones, spent my life being a source of ridicule. It is purely because I am a strong willed and stubborn individual that I didn't give up. I took great pleasure in gaining my DDE with the ISTD and proving her wrong. It did however damage my confidence and years later will still dance at the back of the class and feel an innate sense of fear if asked to show things one at a time.

    I feel though that this helped to shape me as a teacher, so although tough at points growing up, I don't regret my choice to stay at that school. It showed me how not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Beverley, thank you for commenting. I know exactly where you are coming from, I had similar experiences at school and I suppose it has too driven me to prove them wrong. I hadn't thought about it in this way - can I just ask, do you think that if your education had been different (more on the section A spectrum) you may have developed as an artist differently? Do you think this would have had a positive impact on your mentality and would you still have been as driven as you are now?

      Delete

What is the story you are going to tell?

Today, Tuesday 2nd April, we had a Module 3 skype session where we discussed the stories of our inquiries. Essentially, the entire process f...