Wednesday 7 November 2018

My ‘sharing rule’

For my inquiry, an idea I have been looking into is ballet pedagogy and how it effects a dancer’s personal identity; particularly focussing on how it silences a dancer’s voice. Speaking to a friend last night who I went to school with, without any prompting from me, she bought up how she now struggles in ‘regular’ jobs; if she doesn’t have an authority figure instructing her on what to do, she feels at a loss for what she should be doing. She is working in a primary school as a teacher’s assistant and has been struggling to keep herself busy when not instructed. She also feels nervous and shy whenever a person with higher authority does talk to her, as if she doesn’t feel worthy or appropriate to speak up her ideas. She puts this down to her upbringing in ballet. 

In the ballet studio we are instructed the whole time and we are taught to obey our teachers without hesitation. Not to say that this isn’t always a bad thing, as we have grown up with respect, manners and some would say the best hardworking mentalities and drive for perfection in whatever we set ourselves to achieve. However do we now struggle to speak up from being taught as forever inferior to the person with authority in the room? At vocational ballet schools you had to abide by the rules of the studio, or risk being assessed out therefore ending or at very least stunting your career pursuit. Don’t get me wrong, I adored every second of my ballet training, however since entering the working world, I have at times struggled to network myself or speak up to get myself noticed as it just hasn’t ever been a part of my upbringing. 

So, I have been looking at how I can make a change in the studio for my students that I teach. This half term I have begun to enforce a new ‘sharing’ rule. I separate the class into groups and then as one group dances, the other sits with me to watch and then we share with each other what was good and where they could improve. If a student, for example, recommends that another’s pirouette is falling to one side during their turn, we discuss how they can correct this and what they can look out for in themselves in the future. I have noticed the classroom become much more lively and concentrated. They feel more involved and I have noticed physical improvements in all as well as in their confidence when they dance for each other. I recommend other teachers give this ‘sharing rule’ a go ...and if you do, please let me know the outcome and what you notice in your students! 

Also if anyone has had similar experiences or indeed the complete opposite to myself and my friend at vocational ballet schools, please comment below so that we can discuss! Any ideas for further research, teaching tips etc are greatly appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your new 'sharing' rule when teaching a class. I think this would also help improve healthy competition in the studio and continue into the professional world, as you would be more likely to help a colleague if they were struggling with a certain step that day. It would also help create a nicer atmosphere in a company, as you don't always have a mentor or teaching watching and giving corrections, so if other colleagues could help now and then that would be really useful! You could maybe look at the link between improving communication and building healthy competition instead of rivalry.
    I never even thought about how ballet classes 'silence you voice', but I think as I went to vocational school quite late at age 16 and also worked in a cafe during the weekends this kept up my communication skills and networking. In secondary school, you practice how to talk in job interviews in year 11 and also have lessons in career advice and possible jobs. I personally think these kind of lessons should also exist in vocational (ballet) schools, as many dancers get injured or don't go into a contract after graduating and struggle in 'regular' jobs as your friend said she did. This career is also very short and not enough dancers think about the possibility of 'regular' jobs during their time at school.
    Sorry for the long comment! Your post triggered lots of different thoughts for me, hope this helps though and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! It's really interesting to hear your take on this topic. I actually discussed this a little with Adesola this morning and she actually pointed out that I may be slightly experimenting on my class, given that I don't actually know if these teaching techniques definitely are going to have positive effects on the class as they grow up. However I do like the idea of creating healthy competition which also includes helping each other to grow together. I think giving the day and age and all the movements (such as the #metoo movement) at the moment we should be trying harder to positively encourage each other so that we can all reach our full potential - and maybe this will result in us urging each other to push ourselves even further with our achievements.
      Also it's nice to hear from somebody who hasn't felt like they have had this same experience at school. Of course I have no set in stone facts to state that it is ballet pedagogy that causes some of us to struggle to speak up in the professional world. I would be interested to hear what kind of teaching methods your teachers used? Did they instruct and you obeyed or did they often allow you to discuss with them how you can make changes to your technique and artistry?
      Thanks so much for your comment!!

      Delete

What is the story you are going to tell?

Today, Tuesday 2nd April, we had a Module 3 skype session where we discussed the stories of our inquiries. Essentially, the entire process f...