Sunday 17 March 2019

Explicit V Implicit knowledge


Image result for reflective thought

As I sit writing my first draft of my literature review, I have been led to reflect on the importance of the different types of knowledge that we gain from ballet training. Euichang Choi & Na-ye Kim's article on Whole ballet education: exploring direct and indirect teaching methods tells us that there are 2 different types of knowledge; implicit and explicit knowledge.

Explicit knowledge emcompasses the technical information which is taught through instructional methods. For example, last week I was teaching a intermediate foundation class how to execute a demi-grande rond de jambe. To explain the correct technique I used a hands on approach, which allowed me to show the students on their own bodies how the movement should be performed in order for them to understand the mechanics of the movement. I used an instructional teaching method in order to pass on the necessary information regarding the facts of how this movement should be executed. This is an impersonal method of teaching, but one that I see as necessary when a student is very first learning a new step. 

Implicit knowledge is the more personal and reflective part of a person's learning. This is where each individual makes their own judgments and reflective thought is encouraged. As a teacher this is seen as more imparting knowledge, allowing the student to make of the ideas and information what they decide works best for them. Implicit knowledge plays a huge role in individuation - the process of individuals in society becoming differentiated from one another. 

My inquiry is targeting the question of how to encourage implicit knowledge learning through transformative learning theory. As I progress, I am finding more and more ideas of how this theory should work, but little on how to actually execute it in the studio. I still feel very much at the start of this inquiry, but more intrigued than ever to find out more. 

From this information, I have started to reflect on my own experiences of different teaching from when I was a student. I remember almost every teacher passing on explicit knowledge, through multiple methods (as this is pretty standard and expected from dance educatiuon). However in order to become artists, we need to be able to use our implicit knowledge to make decisions for ourselves. As a student I became so dependent on my teachers for knowledge, that when I graduated I stuggled to understand who I was as an artist and how to navigate myself and my abilities within the industry. What was I capable of? What areas did I need to focus on in order to continue to grow as a technician and artist? How am I supposed to react when no one is telling me what is expected of me? 

I wander if anyone else has any thoughts on this? Can you remember being encouraged to work for yourself often and what methodolgy was used in order to achieve this? Thank you for reading, I've blogged and clarifyed things in my mind, but would love to discuss this further if anyone has any thoughts!? 

  •  Choi Euichang &  Kim Na-ye (2015) Whole ballet education: exploring direct and indirect teaching methods, Research in Dance Education, 16:2, 142-160, DOI: 10.1080/14647893.2014.950643 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the story you are going to tell?

Today, Tuesday 2nd April, we had a Module 3 skype session where we discussed the stories of our inquiries. Essentially, the entire process f...